HMRC are starting their business record checks again.
HMRC will be sending out letters to business’ advising them that HMRC will be in conatact via the phone.
Questions will be asked to assess if adequate records are being kept.
As of 26 November HMRC will start visiting small and medium-sized businesses in London and East Anglia to check their records.
Depending on the outcome, HMRC will then decide whether they would benefit from “tailored educational support” and whether a visit is necessary.
If the records are found to be inadequate then guidance will be given with a follow up visit scheduled.
Businesses that then fail to comply will be liable to a penalty.
The BRC programme will be rolled-out, region-by-region, over the following 14-week period (According to accounting web article);
- London & East Anglia – 26 November 2012
- South East England – 14 January 2013
- Scotland – 14 January 2013
- Northern Ireland – 14 January 2013
- Central England – 21 January 2013
- East of England – 28 January 2013
- North Wales & the North West of England – 28 January 2013
- South Wales & the South West of England – 4 February 2013
We advise all clients to contact us if you receive a letter and when called ask HMRC to contact your agent who will answer all the questions.